Re: [LUG] General consensus: AMD64 or I386 install of Debian Testing?

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:35:11 +0000
Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Grant,

> Thanks Brad.  I am indeed thinking of a clean install of Debian - only
> my old /home remaining (since it's on a separate partition anyway).

You may have an issue or two there.  Easily solved, though.  Usually
things go awry because UID & GID don't agree from one distro to another.

> The upgrade seems to be progressing OK now - it has settled down a bit
> - but for some reason the system has stopped taking keyboard input.  I
> tell you, this is the first time I've had to use an on-screen keyboard
> to answer apt's questions during an upgrade!  Crazy!

Only ever installed distros from scratch three times.  Once with
Mandrake, which I then upgraded with subsequent releases to Mandriva. At
that point, there was massive failure, so I installed Debian and worked
with that for a few years, until the hardware got left behind and the
system ran too slow.  Then bought current hardware and installed Debian
testing 64 bit.

The point being that I never witnessed a keyboard become unrecognised
in my, admittedly limited, experience.  As you said;  Crazy.   :-/

--
 Regards  _
Keep your drink just give em the money