Re: [LUG] Desktop trauma

On 14/11/11 15:50, bad apple wrote:
It just keeps getting worse and worse - it's so bad, it's almost funny now. Technical sites (slashdot, etc) are full of hate-filled diatribes about Gnome3/Unity. Linus himself has abandoned it for XFCE. Countless users I have setup with Ubuntu over the years as the "nice, easy, free" alternative to Windows have started to contact me as one by one they dist-upgrade from the old LTS version and suddenly find themselves face to face with the horror of Unity, and no way back. Linux Mint is hugely on the ascendance versus Ubuntu, no small part due to their retrofitting of Gnome3 plugins to make it slightly less hideous to use and complete eschewing of Unity. All over the world, smug KDE users are - quite rightly - laughing their asses off. My friends and parents hate Unity. I hate Unity. *Everyone* hates Unity!
I really wouldn't care too much about Unity/Gnome 3 if I could... configure everything. Personally I prefer Gnome 3 and I know I could actually use it properly if only I could do things with it. Why can't I have 2 panels, change the size of the "dock" things and move them around etc. These environments, although new and adding interesting new developments, all lack the one thing that Linux users thrive on.

Gibbs