Re: [LUG] Cornish Lug meeting

stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 08/11/11 22:52:44, Daniel Robinson wrote:
Dear fellow Cornishmen,

It would seem that Devon is having all the fun with regular meets and
what
not. How ever much i'd like to travel the 100+ miles to meet our
neighbours
I don't have the time to do all that travelling.

I'd like to hear from the User Group who would be interested in having
some
sort of meetings in Cornwall, and perhaps through some email contact
on
this topic arrange something that would suit everybody.

Just arrange it and see what happens.
Cornwall is long a thin and that causes issues. I am in Penwith, so
trucking to other end of the county does not fill me with joy... :-)

Hi Daniel,

I have followed this thread with interest. A few months ago I started a meeting in Holsworthy, and in fact the next one is due tomorrow. So here are a few comments.

Do not expect many to turn up regularly, due mainly as you say to distances. That is one of the problems for this south west area which is sparsely populated. (I have been reliably informed that the population of Devon, the whole county, is smaller than the population of Birmingham.)

Consider the ease of parking wherever you decide to meet. In Holsworthy we meet in a local pub and the town car park is free on Saturday afternoons. And, because I know the owner of the pub we do not get charged for the use of the room.

Since we meet in a pub, food and drink are available. That could be a consideration, sometimes the people who come need will have something to eat because they have not had time for a lunch first.

There have been as many as 8 turn up, though on one occasion, no one at all came. Therefore, if you are going to be the organiser make sure that your meeting place is reasonably close to where you live. And perhaps take something to read!

We have agreed on the same day each month, in our case the third Saturday. (Yes, I know that tomorrow is the second Saturday, but that is to avoid the 19th just for this month because it is Holsworthy Carnival that day and it will all be too hectic for the meeting.) So I suggest that at the first meeting you choose a regular date. This makes it easier for people a) to remember it and b) to be able to organise to be available on a particular day of each month.

Give it a few months/meetings to settle down. It takes time for people to get used to the set up and to get organised, so don't despair too quickly.

Hope that has been helpful, and good luck with it,

Best regards

Neil Winchurst