Re: [LUG] Anyone with a contact in exeter.gov.uk ICT department?

On 07/11/11 19:39, Gordon Henderson wrote:

>> Though there is a case to be made for blocking PDFs, given that
>> vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader are one of the most common infection
>> factors. In practise, PDFs in email are too common to block.
>
> I do think it's rather frustrating when the IT department stops you
> doing your job though... Reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon or 2...
>
> http://search.dilbert.com/comic/Mordac%20The%20Preventer

Oh please let me block PDFs, I detest them unduly.

Although last few days seems to be people struggling hard to get their
email rejected from my servers, ending up on block lists, trying to get
emails from domains where the primary MX in on an RFC1918 network (yes
we block those domains because we know bounces probably won't be
delivered and people probably don't want the emails, indeed Yahoo use it
as a signal that the domain doesn't send email), the reverse lookups not
working, and where the reverse lookup work the forward lookup then fails.

We set what I regard as a pretty dismal standard for email server
configuration, I mean you can be on the rfc-ignorant.org postmaster
list, and send email from a domain that is totally unrelated to the mail
servers, neither the same name, same domain or an MX in the same /24,
and we still accept it if the email admin managed to avoid any
additional penalties....

So why the heck do I have two sets of exemptions for the UKs largest ISP.

I'm beginning to think we need to certify email admins before they
certify me.