Re: [LUG] Message about a virus

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:27:19 +0000
Martijn Grooten wrote:

> In Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> > Clam-AV is a popular one for Linux - however it doesn't do on-demand
> > scanning - ie. it only scans from the command-line to scan a file or
> > directory and won't scan programs as they get executed.
> >
> > This is fine for most purposes though - especially if the PC is
> > used as a server for Windows clients who may store virus laden
> > files - not that they will have any effect on Linux, but at least
> > you can warn them.
>
> There are a number of anti-virus vendors who have a Linux solution.
> Most of them are commercial but perhaps one or two are free.
>
> > It might be a good idea to make sure the company you employ to
> > handle your email is capable of virus scanning incoming emails for
> > you. Even though email bourne viruses are on the decline, it might
> > still help - especially if you sometimes use a Win email client to
> > read your email.
>
> +1
>
> There's actually been a huge increase in spam with malware attached to
> it in recent months.
>
> > I've no idea about that, but the plural of virus is generally
> > acknowledged to be viruses, but see:
> >
> > http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/latinlearning/f/virusplural.htm
> >
> > times change.
>
> In the case of computer viruses it used to be the case that the 'good
> guys' refered to them as viruses and the 'bad guys' (those who wrote
> them) as 'viri'. However, 'virus' refers to a specific kind of
> malware, one that isn't seen very often anymore; 'malware' is the most
> commonly used term these days.
>
> Martijn.

Yasee, I thought that "viruses" was the Anglicised and virii/viri was
the "I know Latin, honest" version.  It could be argued that the plural
of virus is... virus, as virus is already a mass-noun.  An individual
viral particle should really be called a virion, and virus is the
singular noun denoting a non-singular entity... a mass-noun.  So it
shouldn't really be pluralised as it is already a plural.

Anyway, as has already been mentioned, one of the big players in the
Linux anti-virus field is ClamAV.  I personally prefer it to others
because of their principle behind how to identify a virus.  It seems
that many anti-virus developers took the route of waiting until a
significant number of cases were reported before declaring that XYZ is
a virus and adding it to their virus database.  As I understand it,
ClamAV take the opposite approach and will add things to their database
at the drop of a hat, but if it subsequently turns out to be a false
positive, it gets removed from the database at the drop of a hat too.

Grant.