Re: [LUG] Message about a virus

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:41 PM, Grant Sewell wrote:
> Anyway, as has already been mentioned, one of the big players in the
> Linux anti-virus field is ClamAV.  I personally prefer it to others
> because of their principle behind how to identify a virus.  It seems
> that many anti-virus developers took the route of waiting until a
> significant number of cases were reported before declaring that XYZ is
> a virus and adding it to their virus database.  As I understand it,
> ClamAV take the opposite approach and will add things to their database
> at the drop of a hat, but if it subsequently turns out to be a false
> positive, it gets removed from the database at the drop of a hat too.

It's a bit more complicated than that. A lot of malware is detected
based on its heuristics: if it does something bad, it is blocked.
Which is the only way really, what with 70k new malware samples being
discovered every day; you simply can't rely on a database.

Of course, a lot of malware is detected because it has been added to a
malware database. The proper way to add it is not wait until you've
received x sampels, but to receive one sample, check its behaviour (in
a sandbox, for instance) and then add it if it does something bad.

I don't know about ClamAV, but if it does what you say it does, it's
going to cause a lot of false positives. Which may not be a big
problem if you run it to scan email attachments but is not what you'd
want for a desktop scanner.

Martijn.