Re: [LUG] Keyboards

On 02/11/11 10:57, Alan Lumb wrote:

> I am coming to the conclusion that accents in Windows were so much
> easier than Linux.  I would like that not to be true!

They are MUCH easier in GNU/Linux as they are readily guessable
sequences in most cases.

I know Faye wasn't too sure having memorised a surprisingly large number
of codes for characters under Microsoft Windows having worked for a
translation agency.

Suddenly discovering it doesn't need to be that hard can be a shock!

> My OS is Ubuntu 11.10 with updates.  I do not have Windows.  The
> Keyboard is Logitech K340.  There is no Compose Key.(I do not understand
> the concept) Using the AltGr or windows keys or any of the numbers
> produce nothing useful.  I am assuming something is not turned on but what?

Did you read the Wikipedia article on the Compose key as it explains it
pretty well.

The compose key concept is simply that the key sequence for à should be
the composition of an "a" and an accent. It isn't really assembling
(composing hence compose) all the characters together, it is just a
simple mnemonic for remembering what to type.

You can dump the keymap and find out what compose codes are enabled if
you need some that aren't obvious or readily documented.

You can also hold "ctrl + shift" and type the hex code for the Unicode
character prefixed by a "u" in GNOME. This is for die hards or some one
wanting a very specific character for which "character map" app isn't
good enough.

e.g. You could hold down "ctrl + shift" and then press "u" "0" "0" "E"
"1" and then release "ctrl + shift" but that is painful and hard to
remember compared to "compose" "a" "'". "Ctrl+Shift+U" is sticky, so you
can let go, type the numbers and press "Ctrl+Shift".

So I can guess that à is "a" and "`", but I need to know that it is 00E0
- yuk; my brain has enough junk in it I don't want to learn Unicode.

Using compose I typed this is a few seconds: AÃÃÃÃÃÃÄÃ -- go on type
those in MS Windows now using codes, what you don't know them all?

ÃÂÂ - I don't type spanish, I didn't need to know any special numbers as
the sequences are obvious (at least once you know  "compose" "!" "!" is
"Â").

Okay - now the other bit you will REALLY like is if you open GNOME
preferences, select "Keyboard", and then "Layouts" tab, click "add",
select "Country UK", and variant "Extended - Winkeys" (BTW You can
extend the size of the "choose a layout" dialog by dragging the edges to
make it more readable -- why oh why doesn't it maximise by default as
you'll want to read what is on the keys), and you'll see this layout has
things like "Ã" on "Alt-Gr+e". So it'll probably save you a lot of
frustrating wondering why it isn't more like Microsoft Windows if you
forget what machine you are on. You can also print a copy of the key map
from the preferences dialog.

Once you've done that remember to click on "Options" and pick a
"compose" key (Menu or Right Control key work well, or kill two birds
with one stone and use "Cap Locks" since it is an abomination anyway).
Whilst GNU/Linux can pretend to be Microsoft Windows, life will be
better if you try and use it's strengths ;)

The trouble with special characters in GNU/Linux is that it is all too
configurable at too many levels. I've learnt my lesson and try only to
configure it in GNOME now, I use to remap keys all over the place but
was never disciplined enough to keep it documented well, and you then
get frustrated switching to another machine. Although I appreciate some
folks using foreign languages like to use the compose sequence or other
keymaps in their TTYs (i.e. Outside of the X-Windows) and these days you
can configure all that if you are keen. Me I just use a terminal inside
GNOME is I really need to type something that tricky.