[LUG] Was easy backup program

Thanks for all your suggestions.
The problem I have is that there is a lot more than 1 dvd's worth so dragging and dropping is not really and option. I've tried making large archives but adding a 200 M bytes to a 4.5 gig ta.bz2 takes a lifetime - though mondo and others can create a collection of dvd sized archives for copying to DVD but I run out of disk space trying to create them locally and it takes several hours to do this over the network - though I may have a bash doing that on the backup server but the idea was to get the user to look after their 'non system' important trivia - like photos. Twenty years ago you could just get them to zip it all to a collection of floppies - maybe type in the command for them but basically leave them to shove in a new floppy when it beeps. I just thought that might have advanced to cds/dvds by now but we seem to have fallen between two stools. Its very very easy to make 1 cd/dvd but an absolute nightmare to do an efficient backup to multiple dvds. I've heard this is easy on windowz? I have written down all the detail so if I'm away they can retrieve any lost data from central storage but that, in a small office situation, involves a breach of security.
Tom te tom te tom