Re: [LUG] Was easy backup program

On 02/11/11 07:36, tom wrote:
Thanks for all your suggestions.
The problem I have is that there is a lot more than 1 dvd's worth so
dragging and dropping is not really and option. I've tried making large
archives but adding a 200 M bytes to a 4.5 gig ta.bz2 takes a lifetime -
though mondo and others can create a collection of dvd sized archives
for copying to DVD but I run out of disk space trying to create them
locally and it takes several hours to do this over the network - though
I may have a bash doing that on the backup server but the idea was to
get the user to look after their 'non system' important trivia - like
photos.
Twenty years ago you could just get them to zip it all to a collection
of floppies - maybe type in the command for them but basically leave
them to shove in a new floppy when it beeps. I just thought that might
have advanced to cds/dvds by now but we seem to have fallen between two
stools. Its very very easy to make 1 cd/dvd but an absolute nightmare to
do an efficient backup to multiple dvds. I've heard this is easy on
windowz?
I have written down all the detail so if I'm away they can retrieve any
lost data from central storage but that, in a small office situation,
involves a breach of security.
Tom te tom te tom

I was going to say maybe look at 7zip which can split archives based on size and had pretty good compression rates, but then you need the disk space to store the 7z files before you burn them. I'm not sure if it is possible to get 7Zip to run an external command when it has completed one archive file so it could burn the archive file to a DVD and then continue compressing the files.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe look at DVD-RAM disks which work more like a removable media (they're formatted so you can use them like a 4.7GB floppy, maybe with something like Tar which might span across removeable media?) or a USB stick or external hard drive?

I guess these days most people just take for granted having large backup media, which thinking about it is a shame, why can't we have floppy spanning back? :-D

Rob