Re: [LUG] Broadband - recent changes Exeter

On 22/10/11 14:41, Gordon Henderson wrote:

The actual speed will be fixed to something slightly lower at the
exchange - the bRAS profile (assuming a BT Wholesale line) so ask the
ISP what the current profile cap is unless they provide a control panel
to see it.
BT initially told me 3.6Mb/s when I was first connected.

To use both lines you'll need a smart router that can do load balancing
- it's not channel bonding so no single session will get more than one
lines worth of speed, but it can help - work permitting :)

(or do it in Linux with a box with 3 Ethernet ports - see
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html )
Thanks.

Weren't you due to get FTTC though?
Yes - the nearest cabinet is a mile away at Townshend.
There are providers other than Demon
who'll do you an FTTC connection - BT for example and any one of their
dozen or so resellers supporting FTTC.
It bothered me that it seemed that BT might have a monopoly on this, but maybe I am wrong as Entanet can do it via their resellers.
 (Which I don't think Demon is
yet)
no they are not.
 The down-side is losing the demon.co.uk email and website address -
but personally I think that no-one ought to be tied to their
connectivity provider for email and webspace, but maybe that's just me.
You can get independant for very cheap these days - certianly under £25
a year. A couple of quid a month isn't a lot for your own domain, email
and small web presence.
Yes, I have my own domains which I forward to demon homepages. I can move stuff over.

I think the ISPs are still currently tied into one-year contracts with
FTTC via BT, so they're typically setting the entry level a bit higher
than other ADSL connections. (e.g. Entanet entry level home has a 30GB
cap @ £25.89 inc vat a month)
As I said, I get 50GB/m now at the same price.

The cheapest is arguably BT themselves who are offering various bundles,
but the first thing to do is de-couple your email/web from your
connectivity.
I will think about this. We did talk about this last year when I had an idea the cabinet was nearer. It's just a "junction box" up on a pole, for us last dozen or so punters at the edge of the Leedstown area.

Thanks for your help.

James

--
James Kilty