Re: [LUG] Broadband - recent changes Exeter

On 21/10/11 21:01, James Kilty wrote:
On 21/10/11 19:01, Simon Waters wrote:
Noted that:

Exeter has FTTC in some areas.

Sowton offers C&W LLU. Sowton previously wasn't upgraded despite the
huge number of business customers because the uptake wasn't huge - I
presume that someone else has cables (Virgin?) around the industrial
estate - so Sowton customers with BT are still on 8Mbps maximum. After
some searching, and reading about corporate takeovers and failed deals,
it seems basically this means Demon Internet and a few other reseller
will sell you ADSL 2+ for the exchange.

Interesting. We have FTTC the nearest of which is in Townshend, less than a mile away. Plusnet say they could give me 6Mbps - I get 3Mbps at a good time with ADSL - well my router sometimes says this - I mostly get a steady 2Mbps download. The exchange (Leedstown) is not set up for ADSL2+ and if it was, I might get more than the FTTC would. So Demon cannot upgrade me as they don't do it from fibre. The exchange was one of the first in Cornwall with few users. I wonder if any have signed up to the faster rates, especially in the village of Leedstown, which is fairly compact and must have less than 100 houses.

I could do with a faster line as wife and daughter stream TV and films. They can't do it at the same time.

James
Sorry no sympathy for that - OK you can watch films on ADSL but then you can drive a lorry through a country village. Can they not download them the night before? If the TV is not live then they should be able to, if it is then...
Tom te tom te tom