Re: [LUG] Oh dear

"Me, Iâm just a busy dude with other stuff to do. I just need to feed
some Web pages and run my programs. I donât have the time to do the
dance of blood it takes to truly be one with the Linux culture."

I just don't understand what the hell he might have been fiddling with
to have broken something apparently so royally.  By his own admission,
all he is after is a simple LAMP.  What needs to be fiddled with?

What I found amusing was the way he was banging on about "undocumented
features", etc.  I had a Windows SBS 2008 running at a previous
employer's place.  I was a good boy and configured it using the SBS
wizard - as you are supposed to (SBS assumes you have no knowledge of
how a Windows server runs, and presents you with a "lovel" wizard to
aid with configuation).  It asked me for a default route (which I gave
it - IPv4 only) and it then set up the DHCP service... for both IPv4
and IPv6, and not providing a default route to DHCP6 clients.  Now, the
office had a mix of WinXP and WinVista client machines - the XP ones
seemed to completely ignore anything to do with IPv6 and so they worked
fine.  The Vista boxen, however, picked up the IPv6 details from the
DHCP6 service... and then couldn't get out onto the Internet.

Rather than messing around trying to rectify the IPv6 issue, I simply
disabled IPv6 on the server completely.

Big mistake.

It would seem that the Exchange-2007-alike part of SBS 2008 *depends* on
a working IPv6 stack.  When it came to doing the first round of Windows
updates, it downloaded them fine, applied those that it could fine, and
then rebooted to "finish updating".  And it got stuck.  And it would
not let me unstick it.  And it would not let me "roll back" because it
was still applying updates.  Fun times.

Grant.