Re: [LUG] Sending docs in MS format

On 18/10/11 08:46, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, some companies - in my experience usually recruitment
>> agencies - will only accept document types that they can open in
>> Microsoft Word so they can copy/paste the contents into their own
>> database tool.
>>
>> Now, I know and you know that you can copy from most PDF files, but
>> that doesn't necessarily mean that they will accept a PDF version.
>>
>> Grant.
>>

> But at least they should be able to read it, which is the complaint at
> the moment. For the moment my daughter is printing out her CV and
> sending it by post. Unfortunately some of those letters never arrive.
>
> Neil

I have never had a problem with the save as word document option in
oo/libre - it's just remembering to do it that is the problem. There
maybe a problem if the Windows 2007 option is not used as earlier
version of word may not be compatable, ie saving as Word 2010 and then a
company using 2007 tries to open it. So if your daughter sticks with the
.doc 2003/2007 save options it should be fine. (Oh yes it always helps
to have the option in ms file manager switched to the option which shows
file suffixes, so one can't accidently send an ODF insted of a doc version).

Simon