Re: [LUG] Sending docs in MS format

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:46:44 +0100
Neil Winchurst wrote:

> On 17/10/11 17:42, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> >
> >> Looking for some help please.
> >>
> >> My daughter sometimes sends out job applications, including CV's
> >> etc. If she sends them as an attachment to an email the recipients
> >> complain that they can't read them, (the attached files, not the
> >> email).
> >>
> >> I have told her to save them, using OO Writer, in Word format. She
> >> claims that she does, but I am wanting to check this out.
> >>
> >> So I am looking for some help please. I know that some members have
> >> Windows as well as Linux. Would anyone be willing to receive a test
> >> email with attachment from me and to let me know if they can read
> >> the attachment in Word please?
> >>
> >> I can't help her, I have not used Windows since Windows 98 first
> >> came out. My brother has Windows on his laptop but he does not
> >> have Word installed, he uses OO Writer and Firefox. Yay, he has
> >> learnt some good ways from me then.
> >>
> >> Any help gratefully received
> >
> > Export as PDF and email the PDFs.
> >
> > Gordon
> >
> I have just tested that and it can be read in Adobe Reader, so if the
> company my daughter is writing to can read PDF files then that will be
> fine. I will show her how to do that.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

Unfortunately, some companies - in my experience usually recruitment
agencies - will only accept document types that they can open in
Microsoft Word so they can copy/paste the contents into their own
database tool.

Now, I know and you know that you can copy from most PDF files, but
that doesn't necessarily mean that they will accept a PDF version.

Grant.