Re: [LUG] devon county council budget cut consultations

> What's intersting to me, recently, is the effort to move just one
> person from XP to Linux (my wife). She's fairly clever though and can
> now use OpenOffice writer and calc as easy as she could use Office
> before - she's even getting to grips with Scribus too - but one thing
> that was an issue recently was printing documents - she was exporting
> to PDF to email to people, but when she printed them locally, some
> letters were missing! It turns out to be an issue with "Document
> Viewer", whatever that is - I think it's a Gnome thing... I suggested
> she print directly from OpenOffice - which worked fine - then
> installed XPDF for her, and that printed them fine too. I then wasted
> 10 miutes trying to work out how to make xpdf the default PDF viewer,
> but found out that it was a viewer thing in the GUI filemanager rather
> than some system thing - ah well. So it's a learning process for lots
> of things, all the time...
>
> Gordon

I think this is one of the reasons software centre is taking over as the
default package manager so there is one program user interface for
people to use,  ok its controversial as people here probably prefer
synaptic but i think if you look at it from a new user point of vew
software centre is a lot more user friendly.

Again we have a CHOICE if this was MS or perhaps apple were doing this
you have to accept the new changes regardless of if you think that is a
step back or a step forward.

Paul