Re: [LUG] Connecting to wi-fi

Two applications I find invaluable for wireless on Debian: Ceni and wpa_gui.

Ceni is originally from sidux, I think Mepis might use it also. It is really good for new installs and live-cd use. It is ncurses based and (at least the version I use) runs on Squeeze.

Wpa_gui is in Debian repos and will connect automatically to the first available configured network. It has a gui scan function and can store configs permanently. It can be configured for non-root access. It is qt4 but no large dependency requirements so should be OK for non-kde desktops. It initially needs a one-time manual edit of /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. Never fails here.

And of course, the right firmware must be installed http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi