Re: [LUG] Connecting to wi-fi

On Sun, 2011-09-18 at 14:17 +0100, george parker wrote:
> I have an IBM Thinkpad T42 which I took last year to France and Spain to
> lots of camp sites for 6 weeks (Grey nomads and all that jazz) expecting
> to enjoy trouble-free surfing (the net that is).  I was running Debian
> based linux, Mepis, at the time.  I found that if it was free wi-fi that
> you just picked up, entered the given password and went with then it was
> impossible to get a connection.
George
if you look at the properties (Right click on the Wireless Icon) of the
connection do you get a default gateway defined?

and does it end in .254?

ie 192.168.0.254  I get this sometimes  and it is wrong.

and do you get a DNS server assigned ?

I have had problems with some WiFi connections where the Default Gateway
has been assigned wrong ie .254 and not from the DHCP server who is .1

The DNS should be the routers address which should be also the Default
Gateway...

This may give you an idea where things are wrong.

Try a DNS of 8.8.8.8 if you can or 8.8.4.4

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
sip:kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxx