Re: [LUG] Connecting to wi-fi

On 18/09/11 15:47, Simon Waters wrote:
On 18/09/11 14:17, george parker wrote:
I have an IBM Thinkpad T42
Am I the only one to have this sort of problem with Debian based
distros?
Probably not, but it is likely not distro but specific driver and kernel
versions that are the problem. Sometimes with wireless cards it can be
also be firmware issues.

If you want to know which versions of Debian are likely to work (and
which packages to install) use "lshw" ("apt-get install lshw" then run
"lshw") to tell us precisely the wireless chipset details. Most (but not
all) of the T42's appear to have AR5212 chipset which I thought was
pretty well ironed out many years ago. Some had Intel chipsets that
require non-free firmware (firmware-ipw2x00) to be installed.

Otherwise all we can do is sympathize, or suggest generic
troubleshooting techniques for wireless (what errors are logged, does it
work without encryption etc).

On the other hand if PCLinuxOS is working you could stick with it, and
enjoy the holiday instead!

I get PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection with lshw.

Thanks for all the info from everyone. I obviously should have brought this up last year. I will also obviously be carrying on with PCLinuxOS for the rest of my holiday. When I eventually get back to my little techno haven in Devon I will try out your suggestions. In the mean time I raise my glass of red to you all.

George