[LUG] Connecting to wi-fi

I have an IBM Thinkpad T42 which I took last year to France and Spain to lots of camp sites for 6 weeks (Grey nomads and all that jazz) expecting to enjoy trouble-free surfing (the net that is). I was running Debian based linux, Mepis, at the time. I found that if it was free wi-fi that you just picked up, entered the given password and went with then it was impossible to get a connection.

If it was a pay site (all very expensive at 3 or 4 euros per hour) then you picked up a free network, went into firefox which went directly to the pay site for you to log in for your gold plated hour or whatever. This was always successful. Being a Yorkshireman this made me very sad indeed. With some of my expensive minutes I downloaded WICD which I had had some success with in the past and got very frustrating results. I could find the networks with it and enter the passwords (usually WPA2) but after contemplating its navel it would time-out with the message "bad password", which it wasn't.

On getting home I got similar results with the wi-fi from my router. (I had been very remiss in the past using a wired connection to the laptop.) I think that Debian based distros use netmanager. I loaded PCLinuxOS onto the Thinkpad and lo and behold it connects to the wi-fi. No problem. This uses a programme called network centre which is probably Redhat based.

This year, in a moment of madness, I loaded Mint Debian (testing) onto the Thinkpad and went off to my daughters on the way to France. When I got to her pad, horror of horrors, (well, pretty predictable really) I couldn't connect to her wi-fi, with netmanger or WICD. I then spent a day downloading PCLinuxOS (of course I didn't have the disk with me) and reconfiguring the damned laptop yet again. The wi-fi was solid, which was more than could be said for my marriage.

I am sitting in my caravan in the South of France typing this (6 euros for 24 hours on this site) and I have been able to log on to several FREE sites en route. On this site it seems to matter whether you use the mouse button or the ENTER key to log on but that is another story.

Am I the only one to have this sort of problem with Debian based distros? Sorry for the length of post but I had to get the frustration off my chest. Poitrine I believe in the local lingo.

Spain tomorrow I think so adios

George