Re: [LUG] Remote Backups

On 07/09/11 18:55, Martin Gautier wrote:
Doh. rsync.net

I'm not sure I want more data pouring down my already busy adsl line.
The boss doesn't want it down his home line either ;)

It's not so bad if you're on an unlimited connection as Gordon suggests.

I had a thought once when I was working at a place and looking at remote backups where the company had 2Mbit broadband (2Mbit down and something like 256Kbit up) and that was to put a server into a neighbouring business (whose location was in building about 50 or so metres away) and then running some sort of wireless connection (not sure if wifi would have done it, maybe some sort of other wireless technology might have done). Never did actually get to try it but maybe that could be an option if you're friendly with a neighbouring business.

Maybe I'll look into Rob's co-location idea...

Gordon can probably advise about this one :-)

Rob