Re: [LUG] Remote Backups

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Martin Gautier wrote:

Yeah I've got the onsite backup covered with a local drive so that will help with server recovery or file recovery.

The server owners are too lazy/unreliable to unplug a drive or tape and swap it each day for an off-site backup hence the online backup idea. If their office burns down, the data is still accessible and speed of recovery isn't so much of an issue in that a subset could be downloaded with the rest recovered at leisure.

The budget is about what the current Dropbox fiasco is costing - about $40/month+

The idea of quick and easy online backups seems to jar with the current paucity of actual bandwidth available to most via ADSL - something that my customer hasn't managed to grasp and isn't helped by the likes of Virgin/Sky & Plusnet with their criminally inaccurate speed claims (20Mb broadband? No problem!)

I'm currently looking into rsync.org and rsyncit.com

Hm. I think the first site you have there isn't right, but rsyncit.com want $150 a month for 1TB... For that you can get a dedicated server in the UK rather than have the data punted over to the US...

Or offer to do it yourself - £40 a month will more than cover the electricity bills, and give you a nice little server to play with :)

I think the HP mini server offer is back on again too, so you can get a nice little platform quite economically...

And remember both cable and ADSL are asymetric in their speed - you may well get 8Mb in, but you're only going to get 443Kb/sec or 830Kb/sec out on ADSL2, or up to about 1.1Mb on ADSL2+ though - maybe more on Annexe M... No idea what the cable upload speeds are.

Thats where my figure of 1-2GB per night comes from - 800Kb/sec upload speed overnight ... (because it's unmetered with the ISP I use for me and my clients from 8pm to 8am)

Gordon