Re: [LUG] being an ISP

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:58:00PM +0100, Eion MacDonald wrote:

> Possibly,  suggest you do following:
> Install BT router,  on separate land line [or via a  wire/switch box from your BT
> router (?)] set to BT openzone with wireless at
>  best security you can set up
> Block all other access except to your own land line or router and us eyour
> ethernet wire to your set up to moniter Router wireless set up.
> State BT Openzone available to members who are on BT Openzone or purchase Openzone
> access - This is the key to remove
> you from any download problem. They the user are using BT as a direct ISO (you
> only provide wires/wireless)
> Important RESET key at each holiday occupant change. Provide wireless Key to user
> with terms of acceptable use. (These must prohibit any download or upload of
> unacceptable or illegal files)
> LOCK router in cupboard (wood so no Fariday cage) or better in a box in attic or
> roof space (BT directional signal is downward). Do not disclose Router place.
>
> The key is that they use a public wireless access for which they have link to
> Public ISP. Bt tends to be unencrypted on BT Openzone I think. I provide outside
> my house  and there is no crosslink to my own use. There are about 15 BT Openzone
> hot spots in our village from private houses.
>
> I assume same can be achieved with any other ISP

Been reading with interest, but I do not know what the legal requirements
are

1)  From http://www.ispa.org.uk/complaints/page_153.html

    What is an ISP?

    An ISP (Internet Service Provider) is a company that provides third
    party access to the Internet. Customers simply use a device called a
    modem to connect to the ISP, which then links them to the Internet
    automatically.

    I do not know the legal definition of "third party access" but all you
    seem to be doing is allowing visitors to access the internet for free
    as part of your service of Holiday Homes. You do not appear to be a
    company providing third party access (see below re lawyers).

2)  Just make sure your clients:
    a)  Verify their identity. I would have thought ID and payment from a
        bank account would suffice: see

http://www.jmlsg.org.uk/industry-guidance/article/part-i-part-ii-part-iii-and-treasury-ministal-approval

    b)  Tell them that a condition of service is that if contacted by your
        ISP about inappropriate use you will provide the clients full
        contact details immediately.

    c)  It might be wise to cap reasonable upload / download limits: if
        nothing else to protect your usuage of the net and in case they
        start spewing out virus's. If they want full access, tell you why.
        (For example if twitchers spot a rare bird and want to upload video
        etc).

        You could probably set up an Iplayer cache that is outside these
        limits.

3)  Locking down the system etc. Yes. If your provider gives multiple IP
    address's then route that residence over a particular IP address. If
    there is a complaint then your ISP could tell you which IP address was
    involved and you can tell them who the client was.

4)  Pay for a lawyer to vet your legal agreement.

Mind you I wonder what hotels do?

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.