Re: [LUG] being an ISP

----- Original Message -----
From: Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, 11 July 2011, 18:01
Subject: Re: [LUG] being an ISP

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Paul Sutton wrote:

But for Tom and his holiday cottages ... It'll become an issue when the local
competition offers free Wi-Fi and starts taking custom away...

Gordon

Possibly,  suggest you do following:
Install BT router,  on separate land line [or via a  wire/switch box from your BT
router (?)] set to BT openzone with wireless at
 best security you can set up
Block all other access except to your own land line or router and us eyour ethernet
wire to your set up to moniter Router wireless set up.
State BT Openzone available to members who are on BT Openzone or purchase Openzone
access - This is the key to remove
you from any download problem. They the user are using BT as a direct ISO (you only
provide wires/wireless)
Important RESET key at each holiday occupant change. Provide wireless Key to user
with terms of acceptable use. (These must prohibit any download or upload of
unacceptable or illegal files)
LOCK router in cupboard (wood so no Fariday cage) or better in a box in attic or
roof space (BT directional signal is downward). Do not disclose Router place.

The key is that they use a public wireless access for which they have link to Public
ISP. Bt tends to be unencrypted on BT Openzone I think. I provide outside my house
and there is no crosslink to my own use. There are about 15 BT Openzone hot spots in
our village from private houses.

I assume same can be achieved with any other ISP