Re: [LUG] being an ISP

On 11/07/11 13:18, Julian Hall wrote:

 On 11/07/2011 08:06, tom wrote:
We have a couple of holiday cottages and the guests frequently try and use the Wireless but I tell them to take a hike generally. One has offered me a bit of cash then makes me wonder if it might be worthwhile looking more deeply into it. However it is important that my eqpt does not go walkies if someone downloads illegal porn - or (I think I'm going to be sick) Windows...
Any experience out there?
Tom te tom te tom

No experience, but a thought that once you have the separate LAN you could block access to all the file-sharing websites you know of to limit access that way; also log user access, with a condition in your Acceptable Use Policy that you will provide the full log to the Police should they come knocking and give them contact details for the person renting the cottage at the time of the alleged illegal activity. Hopefully should the worst happen that would limit your personal responsibility, although of course I am not a lawyer so don't take that as Gospel. It just makes logical sense to me :)

Julian

It may be worth looking into setting up a free OpenDNS account and adding their child friendy DNS servers to your DHCP setup. It wouldn't stop a determined offender but would stop any "accidental" drive-bys...

Martin