Re: [LUG] Touch screen photo printing kiosk, distros out there to suit this?

Kevin Lucas wrote:
On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 19:52 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
On 24/06/11 19:34, Dava wrote:
Hey there,
OK, a slight stab in the dark... My good friend recently bought a small
x86 powered touch screen photo printing machine similar to the type
Boots uses. It is currently running W2K but we haven't got access to the
back end to modify prices etc, it is passworded and i cant seem to get
around it. He is well up for putting a small reliable Linux distro on it
but I'm unsure as where to start? Are there distros out there that would
suit this? Or software of which i can put on another distro of my
choice? It has a card reader and USB ports but wouldn't mind adding a
bluetooth dongle for further flexibility. I had a quick gander on Google
but yielded nothing... probably my lacking search engine skills!
Any suggestions would be great thanks, I'm all ears :)

Regards

Dave

When I think Touch I instantly think of something like Unity on Ubuntu or Gnome 3. However I guess they could possibly be slightly too high spec depending on the age of the machine (especially if it's only running Windows 2000).

I gather though that the next release of Ubuntu is going to have a 2D Unity interface included to complement the existing 3D interface. It's certainly worth giving it a try. Maybe if the hardware is upgradable (such as a standard motherboard etc) then maybe your friend could beef it up a bit and still use the existing casing, touch screen etc.

As far as getting round the password, if you can boot from CD, try this which can be used to reset passwords (I'd suggest resetting the password rather than changing it with this tool):

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Rob

Or even boot it up with  a live linux disrto ubuntu, knoppix, mint, etc
and edit the windows file you need to modify prices.

If not, take the disk out and put it in in a PC if it's easier.
Passwords wont be a problem unless the disk is encrypted.

Putting another distro on it isn't a problem, running the photo software in W2K isnt either, its just i want to be able to access the backend for adjusting prices. I can access W2K no probs too. The thing i wondered is if there is a linux distro or application that is purely suited to these photo kiosks. Something that is completely touch friendly and walks the user though printing their photos.
Anyway, cheers for you help so far,

Dave