Re: [LUG] Touch screen photo printing kiosk, distros out there to suit this?

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 19:52 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 24/06/11 19:34, Dava wrote:
> > Hey there,
> > OK, a slight stab in the dark... My good friend recently bought a small
> > x86 powered touch screen photo printing machine similar to the type
> > Boots uses. It is currently running W2K but we haven't got access to the
> > back end to modify prices etc, it is passworded and i cant seem to get
> > around it. He is well up for putting a small reliable Linux distro on it
> > but I'm unsure as where to start? Are there distros out there that would
> > suit this? Or software of which i can put on another distro of my
> > choice? It has a card reader and USB ports but wouldn't mind adding a
> > bluetooth dongle for further flexibility. I had a quick gander on Google
> > but yielded nothing... probably my lacking search engine skills!
> > Any suggestions would be great thanks, I'm all ears :)
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Dave
> >

> When I think Touch I instantly think of something like Unity on Ubuntu
> or Gnome 3.  However I guess they could possibly be slightly too high
> spec depending on the age of the machine (especially if it's only
> running Windows 2000).
>
> I gather though that the next release of Ubuntu is going to have a 2D
> Unity interface included to complement the existing 3D interface.  It's
> certainly worth giving it a try.  Maybe if the hardware is upgradable
> (such as a standard motherboard etc) then maybe your friend could beef
> it up a bit and still use the existing casing, touch screen etc.
>
> As far as getting round the password, if you can boot from CD, try this
> which can be used to reset passwords (I'd suggest resetting the password
> rather than changing it with this tool):
>
> http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
>
> Rob

Or even boot it up with  a live linux disrto ubuntu, knoppix, mint, etc
and edit the windows file you need to modify prices.

If not, take the disk out and put it in in a PC if it's easier.
Passwords wont be a problem unless the disk is encrypted.

--
Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)