Re: [LUG] Aargh. Fscking udev, Debian, etc. the whole damned Linux world is determined to shaft itself!!!

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

On 06/06/11 23:11, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Part of the problem is that I'm not running one of their 3 supported
window mangers - i.e. Gnome, KDE or Xfce4... So I have to install it all
by hand. (I probably don't, but right now I don't know how else to do it)

Not sure what you mean by hand here is -- "apt-get install xorg"?

Yes - by hand, meaning that I typed in some commands to install x, fvwm, etc.

No big deal, normally - but there's something not quite right about it.
And this is irritating as my configs, etc. have worked for me for many
years now.

I hate that as well. Although usually with Xorg it has been a case of
finding and deleting config files with obsolete configuration information.

To start with the auto-repeat on the keyboard is slow. What gives? What
touched that? Where do I alter it?

My Window manager does it :(

$ xset r rate 300 30

Yes - I did that too, but something un-did my BIOSes default, and in previous C+FVWM incarnations, that's never been touched...

No idea where default setting has gone, use to be option (AutoRepeat) to
the Keyboard section in X11conf.... but doesn't seem to be documented.
Worth trying there......

I clearly need a second display and graphics card so I can catch up on
such things, but I fear GNOME does all the RandR stuff for you are well,
so I'd probably just point and click and drool even after setting it up.

As long as it doesn't crash on you... It was trying to start my 2nddisplay with me previous xorg.conf, but it was then crashing (floating point violation in the nv driver) Looks like a kernel compile might be needed as the old one didn't crash!)

Still - sat down this morning and everyting was (almost) just there (apart from my 2nd screen which I use for all my monitoring stuff)

One thing I've found - thse Atom boards are s-l-o-w when it comes to disk IO - I put in a 2nd 120GB drive to do the install on and copying the data between then has taken quite a long time...

# hdparm -tT /dev/sda /dev/sdb

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1128 MB in  2.00 seconds = 564.16 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 150 MB in  3.03 seconds =  49.56 MB/sec

/dev/sdb:
 Timing cached reads:   1128 MB in  2.00 seconds = 563.89 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 152 MB in  3.03 seconds =  50.11 MB/sec

(and the disks aren't that fast either!)

Gordon