[LUG] Aargh. Fscking udev, Debian, etc. the whole damned Linux world is determined to shaft itself!!!

Just tried to upgrade my nice desktop PC - the one 1.6GHz Atom which I've lovingly build and installed and "tuned"... It was running Debian Lenny very nicely with a custom kernel, all static & no modules and none of this udev malarkey....

Thought I'd bring it up to date and upgrade it to squeeze.

Oh dear. Wish I'd never bothered now )-:

Basically the upgrade failed - several times, then when I came to reboot it, it croaked, good and proper... Because it loaded udev which overshadowed the real /dev and as it had never had udev on it ever, it didn't have the udev rules or modules (static kernel) device nodes for basic devices - e.g. sda ...

Hand creating sda got it going, but then X wouldn't start - no idea why. (It crashes at that point) I'm guessing again that it's to do with udev, etc.

So decided to remove udev - and I can't. It's now a dependency for just about everything.

It also installed cups (I use lpr) and exim (I had no MTA in it before). It also installed LVM (which I never use), as well as who knows what else. (It downloaded 1.3GB!)

So now I'm well annoyed.

But if that's the way it is, then so be it. No wonder those twin core 3GHz PCs I built last week don't actually feel any faster than my 1.6GHz desktop - all the additional shite that now gets installed and runs, doing sod-all except getting in-between the application and hardware and adding yet another layer of bugs and slow-downs.

Bah!

I'm now backing up all my data and going to do a re-install from scratch. Probably just as well anyway. Maybe. Who knows. I guess it'll give me a chance to re-format the disks and use ext4 if nothing else... I could have done without it though. The servers I've built & upgraded to Squeeze recently have been fine too - but they haven't had X or anything else fancy on them, so running without udev has been OK.

I'm almost tempted to give FreeBSD a go again - I'm sure it's improved in the past 16 years since I last used it ...

Grumpy old Gordon