Re: [LUG] Aargh. Fscking udev, Debian, etc. the whole damned Linux world is determined to shaft itself!!!

On 06/06/11 23:11, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Part of the problem is that I'm not running one of their 3 supported
> window mangers - i.e. Gnome, KDE or Xfce4... So I have to install it all
> by hand. (I probably don't, but right now I don't know how else to do it)

Not sure what you mean by hand here is -- "apt-get install xorg"?

> No big deal, normally - but there's something not quite right about it.
> And this is irritating as my configs, etc. have worked for me for many
> years now.

I hate that as well. Although usually with Xorg it has been a case of
finding and deleting config files with obsolete configuration information.

> To start with the auto-repeat on the keyboard is slow. What gives? What
> touched that? Where do I alter it?

My Window manager does it :(

$ xset r rate 300 30

No idea where default setting has gone, use to be option (AutoRepeat) to
the Keyboard section in X11conf.... but doesn't seem to be documented.
Worth trying there......

I clearly need a second display and graphics card so I can catch up on
such things, but I fear GNOME does all the RandR stuff for you are well,
so I'd probably just point and click and drool even after setting it up.