Re: [LUG] Aargh. Fscking udev, Debian, etc. the whole damned Linux world is determined to shaft itself!!!

Well, just for an update... The re-install from scratch is OK, however X is being problematic.

Part of the problem is that I'm not running one of their 3 supported window mangers - i.e. Gnome, KDE or Xfce4... So I have to install it all by hand. (I probably don't, but right now I don't know how else to do it)

No big deal, normally - but there's something not quite right about it. And this is irritating as my configs, etc. have worked for me for many years now.

To start with the auto-repeat on the keyboard is slow. What gives? What touched that? Where do I alter it?

My 2nd screen isn't working - so even if I had been good like that nice Mr. Simon, and not fiddled with things, then it still wouldn't have worked. X crashes. I put my previous xorg.conf file in-place and removed the 2nd screen stuff and it works, but now there is a problem with fvwm - there is something wrong with the window scaling and title bars. It could be the fonts. This is stuff I normally don't fiddle with, so I'm irritated by it.

Ah well...

Gordon