Re: [LUG] Firefox

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Yes, I am just being lazy I suppose. And I am not sure how to pick up my existing plugins, which may not work with the new version anyway.

As for other plugins - well, use the plugin/addon controls in firefox to
find and install those (although I'd be surprised if a distribution
actually included more addons that java and flash).

Well here is the list

DivX, QuickTime, Realplayer, Windows Media Player, Gecko Media Player, VLC Multimedia Plugin, DivX Web Player, Java, Shockwave Flash, Adobe Reader.

I don't think I installed any of those. In FF4 when I check about:plugins the answer is zilch, nada, niente, nichts, rien etc. I don't fancy bothering with all those.

Wow. Mint installs all of those?

I guess I'm living in a void. My firefox only has Shockwave Flash and the Helix realplayer when I do about:plugins (I currently have Java disabled)

Or perhaps I don't need to,

I don't.

But then - I have everything open in a separate window - I click on a PDF and xpdf launches - in a separate window. Click on a .mov and mplayer launches - in a separate window. Very occasionally I find sites with some sort of embedded/streaming movie that I can't play, but I've never really been concerned about it. I can watch bbc iPlayer which is good enough for me. Having things launch in their own application independently of the browser is my preferred way of working.

Plugins live in a directory called plugins under your .mozilla hierarchy. It's possible you might have 2 different .mozilla's though (with different names for different versions of firefox, but I don't think that's been the case for me when I've upgraded my firefox.

Plugins are basically loadable modules - files with a .so extension. In my plugins directory I have a file (flash) and several symbolic links:

-rwxrwxr-x 1 gordon gordon 11950976 Jul 28  2010 libflashplayer.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 gordon gordon       73 Feb 18 21:01 libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 gordon gordon       57 May  9 10:38 libnpjp2.so ->
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 gordon gordon       46 Feb 12  2010 nphelix.so ->
/var/home/gordon/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 gordon gordon       47 Feb 12  2010 nphelix.xpt ->
/var/home/gordon/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.xpt

2 are for Java and the bottom 2 are for Realplayer.

The libflashplayer is what you get when you download the tgz file from adobe.com.

Actually, thinking now, I suspect the firefox 3.6 installed by Mint has a central repository for plugins and you manally installing firefox 4 has created a local .mozilla directory. I suspect that if you deleted the plugins directoyr in your new .mozilla and made a symbolic link to the central one then everything would "just work". Finding the central one might be challenging though - however

  find / -name plugins

will find it. (and probably lots of others, but it ought to be obvious)

Gordon