Re: [LUG] Firefox

On 04/06/11 12:15, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Some people have expressed surprise that I am still using Firefox 3.6.17
and have not yet looked at FF v4.[1] So, has anyone on the list moved up
yet? If so some questions please,

Yes, well I have it installed but still got 3.6 set as the default. I'll be moving completely over to 4.0 when I upgrade Mint to 11.

Can I have both installed at the same time and then choose which one to
use?

Yes, I installed Firefox 4 from the repositories, it installs and runs happily alongside Firefox 3.6 which is still set to the default.

Is there any advantage to moving up if I am happy with my current version?

I gather it's supposed to be faster, haven't really noticed much difference. There are other new features too.

Will version 3* eventually lose any support?

Yes, it's bound to happen. 3.5 is already end of life with users (at least Windows and Mac users) being offered Firefox 3.6.18 this month.

Firefox 3.5 was released in June 2009 (according to Wikipedia) so it's likely that Firefox 3.6 will probably come to the end of it's life maybe in 2012/2013 (it was released in January 2010 so I'd guess it would have a supported life of about 2 to 3 years).

Normally I feel that if something is working for me leave it alone, but
of course there may be security issues.

Yep, well if it came with your distro it should be supported in one way or another (maybe small point updates such as 3.6.17 to 3.6.18) or possibly even a major version update 3.6 to 4.0. I'd guess that would depend on your distro and how they plan on providing support (or if you've installed it yourself, then I'd guess it depends on how you installed it).

[1] In my current distro (Mint 10 KDE) FF V4 does not appear in the
repositories.

I think I tried this to get Firefox 4...

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/337

Rob