Re: [LUG] Firefox

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jun 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

So, thanks for the replies. I have installed FF4 separately from FF3.6
so that I can run either. So what do I find?

In FF4 there are no plugins installed at all. So no javascript, no
flash, nothing.

I think you mean Java here. Javascript is definately part of Firefox
(all versions)

Absolutely. I did mean java. I realised just as I sent the email.

In FF3.6 there is a whole bunch of addons available. And I did not
have to install them when I first set up FF3.6, they were all just there.

So guess which version I am going to use!!

Use what you like - it's your PC afterall.

However... If your answer is that you're sticking with 3.6 just because 4
doesn't come pre-loaded then ...

Of-course firefox doesn't ship with all those plugins installed -
because they're not part of firefox!

Firefox 3.x doesn't come with those plugins either, but the kind
person/team who put your Linux distribution together did the hard work
for you and pre-installed them (or made it easy for you to install them)

I didn't have to do anything so it must indeed have been a kind developer (Mint 10 KDE).

It would only take you a few commands typed in a shell to use your
existing Java and Flash plugins with the new firefox - and you know that
there are people here who will help you if you don't know.

Yes, I am just being lazy I suppose. And I am not sure how to pick up my existing plugins, which may not work with the new version anyway.

As for other plugins - well, use the plugin/addon controls in firefox to
find and install those (although I'd be surprised if a distribution
actually included more addons that java and flash).

Well here is the list

DivX, QuickTime, Realplayer, Windows Media Player, Gecko Media Player, VLC Multimedia Plugin, DivX Web Player, Java, Shockwave Flash, Adobe Reader.

I don't think I installed any of those. In FF4 when I check about:plugins the answer is zilch, nada, niente, nichts, rien etc. I don't fancy bothering with all those.

Or perhaps I don't need to,

Neil