Re: [LUG] Firefox

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Neil Winchurst wrote:
Some people have expressed surprise that I am still using Firefox 3.6.17
and have not yet looked at FF v4.[1] So, has anyone on the list moved up
yet? If so some questions please,

Can I have both installed at the same time and then choose which one to
use?

Is there any advantage to moving up if I am happy with my current version?

Will version 3* eventually lose any support?

Normally I feel that if something is working for me leave it alone, but
of course there may be security issues.

Thanks for any help

Neil

[1] In my current distro (Mint 10 KDE) FF V4 does not appear in the
repositories.

So, thanks for the replies. I have installed FF4 separately from FF3.6 so that I can run either. So what do I find?

In FF4 there are no plugins installed at all. So no javascript, no flash, nothing.

I think you mean Java here. Javascript is definately part of Firefox (all versions)

In FF3.6 there is a whole bunch of addons available. And I did not have to install them when I first set up FF3.6, they were all just there.

So guess which version I am going to use!!

Use what you like - it's your PC afterall.

However... If your answer is that you're sticking with 3.6 just because 4
doesn't come pre-loaded then ...

Of-course firefox doesn't ship with all those plugins installed - because they're not part of firefox!

Firefox 3.x doesn't come with those plugins either, but the kind person/team who put your Linux distribution together did the hard work for you and pre-installed them (or made it easy for you to install them)

It would only take you a few commands typed in a shell to use your existing Java and Flash plugins with the new firefox - and you know that there are people here who will help you if you don't know.

As for other plugins - well, use the plugin/addon controls in firefox to find and install those (although I'd be surprised if a distribution actually included more addons that java and flash).

Gordon