Re: [LUG] Networked Storage

On 03/05/11 22:53, Peter Walker wrote:
On 03/05/2011 21:21, Gibbs wrote:
On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 20:47 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
Hm. something else I've just found on Aria:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Networking/Network+Attached+Storage+%28NAS%29/Synology+DiskStation+DS211j+2-Bay+NAS+Enclosure?productId=42861

That's cheaper then building it yourself, and comes with the software.
Just add 2 drives and off you go...
Another option is one of these, http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/proliantmicroserver/index.html?jumpid=ex_r135_uk/en/smb/tsg/go_proliantmicroserver

Looks like you have just missed the promotion :-( however they were running a similar offer before Christmas so might extend it or run another soon.

I bought one at Christmas and added 3 1.5TB disks in md RAID 10 and Fedora 14. Seems OK so far.

Cheers,

Pete
Looks like it even had it's own P2P software built-in too ...

Never used one though...

Gordon

Thanks for the help Gordon, much appreciated. Like you said building one
myself seems to turn out more expensive and I think I was a bit
ambitious in terms of the size and price I was expecting. That "Synology
DiskStation" looks great and is about the right budget but my only
hesitation right now is the OS installed.

Ideally I would like to be able to run a different OS if possible (i.e.
Linux) and these sorts of devices seem to be vary brief when it comes to
listing the OS installed. The reason for that is I would need to use the
likes of SSH and rsync etc etc.

Will keep looking around. Cheers again.

Gibbs

In June's Linux Format mag there is a review of 2 NAS boxes. They may be a bit expensive for what you want but the review points up some differences in how they are configured and ease of use which is very informative.