Re: [LUG] Networked Storage

On Tue, 3 May 2011, Gibbs wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap NAS? I've never used one
and want to use it primarily for home and server backups. I don't really
know much about them but I don't want a server at home and I'm not too
sure on "plugs". Cheers.

Many options - from building one yourself to buying one - of many. I'd build my own (and I have) and run NFS and Samba on it, however...

One you might want to consinder (but only because a friend of mine works for them) is the Drobo - It's an odd thing in that you can put an 80GB drive into it, and it tells you it's a 2TB device... When you fill that 80GB drive, you put in another. When that's full, you add in a 160GB drive, and so on (the entry level ones have 4 slots). It will RAID the data when it can - e.g. in that scenario when you add-in the 160GB drive it would re-arrange things to give you the ability to remove any drive - until you exceeded it's RAID ability - then you add in more drives, and so on.

It's pretty neat, but they're not cheap.

And I never bought one... Prefering to roll my own...

Gordon