Re: [LUG] 3G USB Modem

On 18 April 2011 22:24, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 18/04/11 21:21, Joe Buckle wrote:
>
>> Hmm.. not sure how useful it would be to find out. This is the first
>> time I've been in this situation, and probably the last. Although I
>> guess manually being able to configure the USB ports to identify modems
>> etc.. plus there are quite a few around so I guess they would assume
>> different configuration methods.
>>
>> Hopefully Ubuntu will pick up the pace a bit with this then. My Debian
>> Squeeze installation worked without any further configuration at all,
>> which I found a bit strange considering Ubuntu is supposed to be more
>> user friendly.
>>
>> Joe
>>

> I think it depends on the device.  I remember when Tom B got a Three modem
> (the soap on a rope style) he had to do a bit of playing around in Debian to
> get it working, although this was a couple of years ago.
>
> IIRC it required something like unloading some USB modules and loading other
> USB modules.
>
> Rob
>
> --

I followed the instructions on this website to get 3G running on my netbook.
Basically the dongle will only identify itself as a storage device
until you forcibly remind it that it is also a 3G modem.
Then things start to work, and you only need to add connection details.

--
Jimbo of the anorakkerati