Re: [LUG] 3G USB Modem

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:52:42 +0100
Joe Buckle wrote:

> Yesterday I decided to install Ubuntu 10.04 on my mum's HP Pavillion
> laptop (woohoo she's gone linux). Unfortunately, she uses a 3G USB
> Dongle device to connect to the internet. Installed Ubuntu, but I
> couldn't connect to the internet with her dongle. I found myself a bit
> stuck because that was the only access to the internet. So I laptop
> away. Eventually, I have got this sorted by installing USB ModeSwitch
> which obviously I couldn't install without the internet whilst at my
> mum's.
>
> The purpose of this thread is to try and establish whether it would
> have been possible to get the dongle to work without having to
> connect to the internet to download USB ModeSwitch. If not, then I
> guess I need to be better prepared next time! haha
>
> Joe

Essentially the USB dongle will usually identify itself as a USB CD or
pendrive or something.  What mode-switch does is to forcibly tell the
USB stack that when device XYZ is inserted it needs to identify it as a
USB serial port (in many cases).

I do not know the ins and outs of the USB stack well enough to know how
easy it would be to do this manually.

Grant.