Re: [LUG] 3G USB Modem

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 21:15 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:52:42 +0100
Joe Buckle wrote:

> Yesterday I decided to install Ubuntu 10.04 on my mum's HP Pavillion
> laptop (woohoo she's gone linux). Unfortunately, she uses a 3G USB
> Dongle device to connect to the internet. Installed Ubuntu, but I
> couldn't connect to the internet with her dongle. I found myself a bit
> stuck because that was the only access to the internet. So I laptop
> away. Eventually, I have got this sorted by installing USB ModeSwitch
> which obviously I couldn't install without the internet whilst at my
> mum's.
>
> The purpose of this thread is to try and establish whether it would
> have been possible to get the dongle to work without having to
> connect to the internet to download USB ModeSwitch. If not, then I
> guess I need to be better prepared next time! haha
>
> Joe

Essentially the USB dongle will usually identify itself as a USB CD or
pendrive or something.  What mode-switch does is to forcibly tell the
USB stack that when device XYZ is inserted it needs to identify it as a
USB serial port (in many cases).

I do not know the ins and outs of the USB stack well enough to know how
easy it would be to do this manually.

Grant.

Hmm.. not sure how useful it would be to find out. This is the first time I've been in this situation, and probably the last. Although I guess manually being able to configure the USB ports to identify modems etc.. plus there are quite a few around so I guess they would assume different configuration methods.

Hopefully Ubuntu will pick up the pace a bit with this then. My Debian Squeeze installation worked without any further configuration at all, which I found a bit strange considering Ubuntu is supposed to be more user friendly.

Joe