Re: [LUG] Spreading the open source message

Roland Tarver wrote:

If some one agrees to take a live-cd (I may even charge for it - so
they value it more lol) I will show it too. Preferably I would not let
them view it alone. If someone wants to go for an install I will back
up their data, install it for them, get them on the net, get the
printer working, make sure they can play dvds etc. I will just make
sure that all the basics are right before I leave them to it. Ideally
we should not just give someone a disk and leave them to it (since,
from limited experience, this is heading for failure). One person who
has a good initial introduction to linux could become a very powerful
advocate. One of my friends already has. Think viral.

This is exactly the point that I made in an earlier email some time ago. If we want to introduce someone to Linux etc then we need to be prepared to get them well set up and to be available for help until they feel confident. As I wrote at the time, we can't just give them a disk and leave them to get on with it by themselves. That just will not work.

Neil