Re: [LUG] Spreading the open source message

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28/03/11 12:45, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>> Roland Tarver wrote:
>>>
>>> Speaking personally : I am actually quite passionate about it really
>>> and this certainly rubs off on those I meet. I have always enjoyed
>>> helping folk (with any endeavour - not just computing).
>>>
>>> I think the general lack of awareness that there even is an
>>> alternative to windows (or mac) is the main problem. People just dont
>>> know about linux.
>>>
>> True. This is the big problem. So many times when I try to talk to people
>> about Linux, or even open source generally. I get the reply 'Never heard of
>> it'. And this is often from eg business people who should know better. By
>> which I mean they should be taking the trouble to look around to see if they
>> could be doing things better.
>>
>> Just my opinion,
>>
>> Neil
>>
> Perhaps when they say they have never heard of it,  we should ask them if
> they would be interested in a work shop on the subject,

I am going to write a very simple introduction to foss for those who
express an interest. It will last no more than 20 minutes and will be
easy for anyone to understand. Those who I encounter (mainly friends,
students, work colleagues etc etc) that express an interest, I will
attempt to go and see personally or bring them to a lug meet.

If some one agrees to take a live-cd (I may even charge for it - so
they value it more lol) I will show it too. Preferably I would not let
them view it alone. If someone wants to go for an install I will back
up their data, install it for them, get them on the net, get the
printer working, make sure they can play dvds etc. I will just make
sure that all the basics are right before I leave them to it. Ideally
we should not just give someone a disk and leave them to it (since,
from limited experience, this is heading for failure). One person who
has a good initial introduction to linux could become a very powerful
advocate. One of my friends already has. Think viral.

You could almost treat it (all be it with vastly different motives and
ethics! lol) as a pool of sales prospects.

Anyway, I had best finish my essay first lol ;-)

> i still agree that we should perhaps get people to try OSS on windows first
> then gradually move them if they so wish to alternative operating systems

yep. good plan. :-)

roly :-)