Re: [LUG] Spreading the open source message

On 28/03/11 12:45, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Roland Tarver wrote:

Speaking personally : I am actually quite passionate about it really
and this certainly rubs off on those I meet. I have always enjoyed
helping folk (with any endeavour - not just computing).

I think the general lack of awareness that there even is an
alternative to windows (or mac) is the main problem. People just dont
know about linux.

True. This is the big problem. So many times when I try to talk to people about Linux, or even open source generally. I get the reply 'Never heard of it'. And this is often from eg business people who should know better. By which I mean they should be taking the trouble to look around to see if they could be doing things better.

Just my opinion,

Neil

Perhaps when they say they have never heard of it, we should ask them if they would be interested in a work shop on the subject,

i still agree that we should perhaps get people to try OSS on windows first then gradually move them if they so wish to alternative operating systems

in the mean time see if we can get the developers within the community to ensure there are proper documentation etc and support structures in place, which is also important until schools start teaching open source so that people leaving schools have the skills needed to support these systems.

paul

--
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day