Re: [LUG] Spreading the open source message

On 28/03/11 12:38, Roland Tarver wrote:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Neil Winchurst<barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
There is much discussion on the list about getting people and businesses to
move over to open source. Now I am fine with that. Being a pensioner my main
reason for spreading the word is to help some of our older citizens to save
some money. I suspect that many of them are just using a computer for some
email and a bit of browsing. I can't see the fun in paying lots of money to
MS for that.

However when I hear that so many businesses, schools etc are stuck in their
ways and have no interest in moving across my immediate reaction is 'Fine.
Let them get on with it. Their loss.' Meanwhile I will still continue saving
money and having fun with my computer using Linux.

But there seems to be quite a strong desire among list members to really
work hard at this. I must be missing something here. If people really don't
want to know should we care?
Speaking personally : I am actually quite passionate about it really
and this certainly rubs off on those I meet. I have always enjoyed
helping folk (with any endeavour - not just computing).

I think the general lack of awareness that there even is an
alternative to windows (or mac) is the main problem. People just dont
know about linux.

When someone says I need a new computer or gets a virus or whatever
computer complaint, I am not satisfied until I have explained the
benefits of linux and its disadvantages (mainly that there is a
learning curve). I think this education is required before individuals
or businesses are able to make *informed decisions*.

If, when I am satisfied they understand the information, they choose
to remain with windows, fine. And, as you say, "let them get on with
it". For me its about sharing something great with friends (and
others) and making sure they are able to choose what is right for them
(of course, linux is the right for everyone ;-) lol).

Best wishes
roly

i agree one of the principals of free software is freedom of choice, where as you are generally forced to use windows or have it pre installed you don't have much choice unless like on here people dig around at the alternatives.

I will ask around, see what it would take if we went in to a over 55s centre (we have one in paignton, parking is bad though) there is also a centre for disabled adults in hollicombe, so i may be able to see if they would be interested.

we can then book a date, work out what we want to do and go in and run a work shop or something.

paul

paul

--
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day