Re: [LUG] promotion events

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Quote -
>>>
>>> In my view there were two important aspects of the event which the
>>> Herefordshire LUG got absolutely right:
>>>
>>> 1) The main message was to promote open source software rather than
>>> specifically Linux. This is the right approach as it gently eases
>>> Windows users towards FLOSS. To require a change of operating system as
>>> the starting point is probably just too big a step for most people.
>>>
>>> 2) The venue attracted visitors for reasons other than just the LUG
>>> event; an excellent coffee shop and an art exhibition. This means that
>>> there was a steady flow of people who might not otherwise have come in.
>>>
>>> End quote
>>>
>>> I think we can perhaps add a 3rd they had a speaker which is a useful
>>> addition to such meetings.
>>>
>>> This may give us something to think about,  hold events somewhere that
>>> as they say above has a regular flow of customers.   Try to get people
>>> using FLOSS then try things such as Linux ( the reason for this stated
>>> above is a good one)
>>>

>>> Any thoughts on this
>>>
>>> on looking at this
>>>
>>> Herefordshire Linux and Open Source User Group
>>>
>>> Perhaps if visitors to our lug site saw something like the above it
>>> would look less geeky  How many people really under stand GNU,  so if we
>>> are Devon and Cornwall Linux and OPen source user group (on the site
>>> anyway) it may help (any comments from the lug admins, can this be
>>> changed easily?)
>>>

>>> Paul
>>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Just a quick comment at this time. The Paignton library, dare I say it
>> (!!!), would be a fantastic venue choice (at least for those fairly
>> local). Coffee shop and a regular supply of folks who read books
>> (*perhaps* more intelligent than average and hopefully less "sheep"
>> like - see other thread)! Nice rooms. Good facilities. Modern. Central
>> etc etc.
>>
>> I dont have time at the moment, but perhaps this line of enquiry could
>> be re-opened!!!? I know Tom and (perhaps a few others) had all sorts
>> of problems trying to arrange something a while back, so this is
>> perhaps a non-starter. It really is a dam shame though, since as a
>> venue I feel it would be fantastic.
>>
>> Perhaps I will visit them, with a baskball bat and memory sticks full
>> of windows viruses, to "facilitate" negotiations hahaha ;-)
>>
>> Best wishes
>> roly :-)
>
> I asked and we need to have any laptops PAT tested before we can take em
> in.   Ridiculous I know esp when there are plenty of power and cat 5
> sockets around the place.
>
> I will ask around,  I am working on the basis that any talks will be
> during the summer after you have finished your course as I know you are
> keen to help out,  doing that give the group time to get organised, get
> some funds in a pot and work out what we want to do.

Perhaps it could be organised as a one off event as per DFD like they
did in Hereford. This my make the arrangements easier - although not
necessarily.

> Ridiculous I know esp when there are plenty of power and cat 5
> sockets around the place.

I agree that it is ridiculous that a group of IT experts (geeks ;-))
must have this done. But, would it really be that difficult for us to
do?

Would this (minor? - I am not really sure what is involved with PAT
testing - not much if memory serves) small hoop not be worth the
benefits of jumping through?

Anyhow, I will park this conversation here - at risk of having those
who tried previously kill me! haha and perhaps explore what is
possible when i am able. To my mind it is just a really great venue
and worth a little effort - but that's just me.

Best wishes
roly :-D