Re: [LUG] promotion events

On 27/03/11 19:10, Roland Tarver wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Hi Paul,
>>>
>>> Just a quick comment at this time. The Paignton library, dare I say it
>>> (!!!), would be a fantastic venue choice (at least for those fairly
>>> local). Coffee shop and a regular supply of folks who read books
>>> (*perhaps* more intelligent than average and hopefully less "sheep"
>>> like - see other thread)! Nice rooms. Good facilities. Modern. Central
>>> etc etc.
>>>
>>> I dont have time at the moment, but perhaps this line of enquiry could
>>> be re-opened!!!? I know Tom and (perhaps a few others) had all sorts
>>> of problems trying to arrange something a while back, so this is
>>> perhaps a non-starter. It really is a dam shame though, since as a
>>> venue I feel it would be fantastic.
>>>
>>> Perhaps I will visit them, with a baskball bat and memory sticks full
>>> of windows viruses, to "facilitate" negotiations hahaha ;-)
>>>
>>> Best wishes
>>> roly :-)
>>
>> I asked and we need to have any laptops PAT tested before we can take em
>> in.   Ridiculous I know esp when there are plenty of power and cat 5
>> sockets around the place.
>>
>> I will ask around,  I am working on the basis that any talks will be
>> during the summer after you have finished your course as I know you are
>> keen to help out,  doing that give the group time to get organised, get
>> some funds in a pot and work out what we want to do.
>>
>> Paul
>

> Perhaps it could be organised as a one off event as per DFD like they
> did in Hereford. This my make the arrangements easier - although not
> necessarily.
>
>> Ridiculous I know esp when there are plenty of power and cat 5
>> sockets around the place.
>
> I agree that it is ridiculous that a group of IT experts (geeks ;-))
> must have this done. But, would it really be that difficult for us to
> do?
>
> Would this (minor? - I am not really sure what is involved with PAT
> testing - not much if memory serves) small hoop not be worth the
> benefits of jumping through?
>
> Anyhow, I will park this conversation here - at risk of having those
> who tried previously kill me! haha and perhaps explore what is
> possible when i am able. To my mind it is just a really great venue
> and worth a little effort - but that's just me.
>
> Best wishes
> roly :-D

I agree but to add to these woes there was also the requirement we
needed liability insurance,  even though we would probably keep the 1
laptop safe on a table right next to the projector input socket thingy
so there won't be any trailing cables.

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

Easter Fest 2011 - Music and production activities for young people 12 - 19
April 11 - 23rd - The Lighthouse,26 Esplanade Road, Paignton
01803 411 812 or e-mail  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more info.
17th September 2011 - Software freedom day