[LUG] promotion events

        Hi

at the week end herefordshire Lug held an event to prmote open source
software

http://www.herefordshire.lug.org.uk/node/63

in a comment to the ubuntu mailing list they made 2 interesting points

Quote -

In my view there were two important aspects of the event which the
Herefordshire LUG got absolutely right:

1) The main message was to promote open source software rather than
specifically Linux. This is the right approach as it gently eases
Windows users towards FLOSS. To require a change of operating system as
the starting point is probably just too big a step for most people.

2) The venue attracted visitors for reasons other than just the LUG
event; an excellent coffee shop and an art exhibition. This means that
there was a steady flow of people who might not otherwise have come in.

End quote

I think we can perhaps add a 3rd they had a speaker which is a useful
addition to such meetings.

This may give us something to think about,  hold events somewhere that
as they say above has a regular flow of customers.   Try to get people
using FLOSS then try things such as Linux ( the reason for this stated
above is a good one)

Any thoughts on this

on looking at this

Herefordshire Linux and Open Source User Group

Perhaps if visitors to our lug site saw something like the above it
would look less geeky  How many people really under stand GNU,  so if we
are Devon and Cornwall Linux and OPen source user group (on the site
anyway) it may help (any comments from the lug admins, can this be
changed easily?)

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

Easter Fest 2011 - Music and production activities for young people 12 - 19
April 11 - 23rd - The Lighthouse,26 Esplanade Road, Paignton
01803 411 812 or e-mail  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more info.
17th September 2011 - Software freedom day