Re: [LUG] promotion events

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>        Hi
>
> at the week end herefordshire Lug held an event to prmote open source
> software
>
> http://www.herefordshire.lug.org.uk/node/63
>
> in a comment to the ubuntu mailing list they made 2 interesting points
>
> Quote -
>
> In my view there were two important aspects of the event which the
> Herefordshire LUG got absolutely right:
>
> 1) The main message was to promote open source software rather than
> specifically Linux. This is the right approach as it gently eases
> Windows users towards FLOSS. To require a change of operating system as
> the starting point is probably just too big a step for most people.
>
> 2) The venue attracted visitors for reasons other than just the LUG
> event; an excellent coffee shop and an art exhibition. This means that
> there was a steady flow of people who might not otherwise have come in.
>
> End quote
>
> I think we can perhaps add a 3rd they had a speaker which is a useful
> addition to such meetings.
>
> This may give us something to think about,  hold events somewhere that
> as they say above has a regular flow of customers.   Try to get people
> using FLOSS then try things such as Linux ( the reason for this stated
> above is a good one)
>

> Any thoughts on this
>
> on looking at this
>
> Herefordshire Linux and Open Source User Group
>
> Perhaps if visitors to our lug site saw something like the above it
> would look less geeky  How many people really under stand GNU,  so if we
> are Devon and Cornwall Linux and OPen source user group (on the site
> anyway) it may help (any comments from the lug admins, can this be
> changed easily?)
>

> Paul

Hi Paul,

Just a quick comment at this time. The Paignton library, dare I say it
(!!!), would be a fantastic venue choice (at least for those fairly
local). Coffee shop and a regular supply of folks who read books
(*perhaps* more intelligent than average and hopefully less "sheep"
like - see other thread)! Nice rooms. Good facilities. Modern. Central
etc etc.

I dont have time at the moment, but perhaps this line of enquiry could
be re-opened!!!? I know Tom and (perhaps a few others) had all sorts
of problems trying to arrange something a while back, so this is
perhaps a non-starter. It really is a dam shame though, since as a
venue I feel it would be fantastic.

Perhaps I will visit them, with a baskball bat and memory sticks full
of windows viruses, to "facilitate" negotiations hahaha ;-)

Best wishes
roly :-)