Re: [LUG] OT (sorry): MS Licensing question

On 25 March 2011 15:03, Paul Hirst <paul.hirst@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 23:51 +0000, colin james wrote:

> They just ask school name and students name. I am studying with the OU
> so bought Office just to ensure that my assignments were formatted
> correctly before submitting.

My Wife has taken many courses with the OU over the past few years.
Everything she's submitted electronically has been in .SXW format done
in OpenOffice and she's had no issues.

I think in the student guides they give you, there is a section on how
to get hold of OpenOffice and how to save in the correct format for
sending to them. I think for some of her earlier courses it may have
been referring to staroffice instead and they may have updated to accept
ODF documents recently. I was only reading it idly since it wasn't my
course so I wasn't exactly paying it 100% attention.

Sophos Limited, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 991 2418 08.

Yes they say Open Office is fine but I know from experience that sometimes graphs and equations done in OO won't come out the same in Office and vice versa. As I got a grant from the OU I decided that £40 for office was a sensible buy as I would hate to lose marks just because my tutor used different software to me.

My wife actually had a issue with a graph being totally different in Office to one she produced in OO the other night. I do hate giving money to MS though but would rather that than losing marks.