Re: [LUG] OT (sorry): MS Licensing question

On 23 March 2011 23:43, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 23/03/11 22:47, colin james wrote:

Will be fine. You might have to speak to India when you activate but
apart from that you won't have any issues.

It's not legit though doing this.

You can get Windows 7 for less than £40 from
http://www.software4students.co.uk
<http://www.software4students.co.uk/> if you do need to buy it for
whatever reason.

Do they do any actual checks if you're eligible?

I know they used to (back in the late 90's you simply bought a box and a form, got it stamped by the educational establishment and sent it to Microsoft and they would send out the media and license).

The wife got a discount copy of Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade when it first came out because she was a student.  I gather we'd be eligible for other discounted products because we have kids at school.

Looking at the site, they do only seem to offer upgrades of Windows 7 not full versions so again you'd need a previous version to upgrade from or it wouldn't be legit.

Okay there are documented ways of getting around this but it's probably not a good idea advertising this sort of thing on the LUG list.

Just did a quick Google search, eBuyer.com have XP Home SP3 OEM available for £71.74 inc VAT.

Rob

They just ask school name and students name. I am studying with the OU so bought Office just to ensure that my assignments were formatted correctly before submitting.

You can just give them your childs name and school and they don't check pre purchase so there's no delay. I don't know if they check post purchase though.
You get the option of a software download or original disks sent to you. I went for the disks in case of reinstall etc. and they were here the next morning. If you have children at school it's well worth taking advantage of.