Re: [LUG] Email clients for newbies

On 09/03/11 15:55, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

I do want to see lots of people move over to Linux. The choice of
packages is important. I suspect that some will be looking for a
reason to move back to that other system. An email client that seems
unnecessarily complicated could be enough.

Comments

Why burden them with an email client? Get them setup with a decent
webmail system and forget it. Then they have no local emails that'll get
lost, can access it from anywhere, and when they're ready, transparently
use a smartphone/tablet, etc with imap client to access the same email &
folders, etc.

Most webmails see to have the "outlook disease" - folders down one side,
big window in the middle, options/headers at the top...

I use squirrelmail for my clients (& friends & family), but there are a
few others out there which other ISPs use.

Gordon

Thanks for the quick response. I have not yet considered webmail, although I do have it available myself But then, I have my own website. I will have a more considered look at it. Re losing the local email, I use IMAP so do not lose any emails. I suppose I would need to explain a bit about that.

I have used squirrel mail myself but cannot get it to show the extra folders into which I filter some of my emails, eg the dclug ones. I have also looked at Roundcube and Horde. Again, I cannot see the extra folders. This may be because I am working through my control panel. More research needed.

Thanks

Neil